This board has been hacked and is sending spam

Everything relating to affiliate programs and merchants.

This board has been hacked and is sending spam

Postby pcmedia » Wed 17 Feb, 2010 3:30 pm

Getting it sent to my inbox
pcmedia

Postby kelfy » Wed 17 Feb, 2010 4:22 pm

Me too. It said that I need to go to a particular website and scan my computer.
kelfy

Postby Tamment » Wed 17 Feb, 2010 4:43 pm

I received this private message...

Dear, MYUSERNAME!

There are viruses' activities from your computer! Highly recommend you to scan your computer for malicious and potentially unwanted software. If you do not follow this, I will have to make a complaint to your Internet Service Provider with attached log file (your IP address, etc.). If you want to find a report about your computer's security and solve every problem with it, please click here:

URL cannot be posted!

This is an online service that you can use for free spyware removal. Use it to scan your computer to help protect, clean, and keep your computer running at its best. Use the free scan to check for and remove viruses, spyware, and other potentially malicious software and to find vulnerabilities or shortcomings in your Internet security.

Thank you. Yours truly, Cliff Edwards.

It was posted by Cliffinzz who is the newest member in the forum - joined day before yesterday - 15 Feb!

Regards - Terry
Tamment

Cliffinzz

Postby DarrynG » Wed 17 Feb, 2010 7:09 pm

googled this total scan crap and it is crap...can some one ban him?
Support my stockcar racing buy your adult dvds from
www.adult-dvd.co.nz
DarrynG

Postby jochrisbryan » Wed 17 Feb, 2010 7:16 pm

Got the same thing from Cliffinzz Wed 17 Feb, 2010 but with a link with my username in and did ladyZita get banned for the same whe I reported it?
The security needs tightening to stop a new member from being able to PM another member
jochrisbryan

Postby jochrisbryan » Wed 17 Feb, 2010 7:19 pm

To: jochrisbryan
Posted: Thu 04 Feb, 2010 4:36 am
Subject: Hey!
"nasty scam link here"

This is what I received , I spaced it to stop somebody clickig it
jochrisbryan

Postby maz » Wed 17 Feb, 2010 9:05 pm

Thanks for the feedback have deleted Cliffinzz .. is this definitely via PM? Was there anyone else to delete?
maz
Site Admin

Postby Tamment » Thu 18 Feb, 2010 9:08 am

Thanks Maz - my message certainly came as a PM. No one else seemed to be involved that I could see. That is other than those who got the message with the nasty link. I suspect Cliffinzz worked (was working) his way through the member list.
Terry
Tamment

Postby whucke@slingshot.co.nz » Thu 18 Mar, 2010 3:56 pm

Get rid of this guy FAST. His site is THE VIRUs.
A Hucke
whucke@slingshot.co.nz

Postby maz » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 6:04 pm

Argh! It's happened again, obviously this is a new hack that's going around. I've been trying to dig up info on it but my suspicion is they are scraping the 'Memberlist' page and using that to generate the user IDs, then using the userIDs to feed in to a PM script.

If they are just sequentially updating user IDs from 1-2000 etc, then this isn't going to work, but strangely I didn't ever receive a spam message which leads me to believe they are using a scraping technique.

Please let me know if it happens again and I'll have to do something more drastic like move to VBulletin, however as you can imagine that's a week of reading manuals and praying :(
maz
Site Admin

Postby maz » Thu 25 Mar, 2010 2:17 pm

I forgot to say I disabled scraping of the Memberlist page, so hopefully, hopefully .... it won't happen again.
maz
Site Admin

Return to Affiliate Discussion