Smile City Program Launch - Earn $3 per Membership Sign Up

Everything relating to affiliate programs and merchants.
maz
Site Admin

Smile City Program Launch - Earn $3 per Membership Sign Up

Post by maz » Tue 28 Mar, 2006 6:05 pm

Dear Publisher,

We are pleased to announce the launch of an exciting new campaign on the dgmAustralia network, Smile City.

Smile City is New Zealand's #1 online reward program, with over 100,000 members.

Your audience can join instantly and start earning thousands of points shopping online with over 100 reward partners, responding to exclusive email offers from leading brands, or participating in exciting surveys. They can then redeem their points for real cash, to bid in auctions or donate to charity.

Membership is FREE

Publishers earn $3 per membership sign up to www.smilecity.co.nz (activated via email)

To join this remarkable campaign login to www.dgmaustralia.com and select Smile City in the 'Join Merchants' section of the site.

Please note: This campaign is intended solely for New Zealand residents.

Kindest regards

Dominic Sofia
Account Executive - Publishers

maz
Site Admin

Post by maz » Wed 29 Mar, 2006 1:12 am

Ahh I just read your article under the ads section, Nick. This is a weird one. I'll put it in anyway since DGM are pushing it. You'll all just have to post lots of new topics now to push it down out of sight :^)

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu 30 Mar, 2006 4:47 pm

Hi Maz,

Good to hear from you again.

Just to clarify the "Weird Comments". What I was referring to is this. Over the last 4 years there has been a huge increase in a nasty form of intrusive advertising using spyware related solutions.

For those that do not understand how this works, I will explain. When you click on a particular part or feature of a site that is using this this type of advertising, a piece of code is inserted into your browser without your permission. Now this piece of code can do a series of things ranging from giving a distorted set of results on a search engine, through to even completely replacing a page on a third party website with one delivered by the website responsible for inserting that code into your browser.

In its absolutely worst form, this has been used by a series of companies in the last years to hijack affiliate links, by sending the customer to the merchants site but replacing the original affiliate code with another belonging to the site that has interfered with your browser. This results in your commission being paid to that offending website. It is straight theft. And the fact that a website has an Affiliate Program from a reputable company like DGM, has absolutely nothing to do with it, because often they simply do not know what is going on. In fact if you research this subject on the main Affiliate Forums in the UK and the US, you will find that this has been a huge problem on CJ, Tradedoubler and some of the other Affiliate Networks. Virtually all of these networks have been made aware of the problem but because the offending companies have been responsible for such a growth in sales (and is it any wonder) some of them have been very hesitant to tackle and resolve the problem.

My question to the above merchant, related to a large number of overseas websites which I had been visiting, only to find that Smile City banners were appearing there. There can only be a limited number of reasons for this. Firstly this "freebie" website might have an absolutely huge marketing worldwide budget, which I somehow doubt. The only other reason is that either a cookie has been inserted on my machine that requests this unrequested advertising, or alternatively my browser code has been interfered with in such a way that when a New Zealand based visitor visits a range of overseas sites, my visit is recognised and the unrequested banner advertising is presented, more than likely without the knowledge of that particular overseas website.

My question to Smile City was simply a request to explain this further, so that I and others could understand. However I see that they have chosen not to reply....which surely prompts other questions.

Unrequested advertising in any form is an abuse of the Internet. Similarly manipulation of, or alteration to, my browser without my specific permission is also inappropriate behaviour especially when it interfers with my use of the Internet. Sadly the majority of Internet users in New Zealand are unaware of spyware and these techniques but they do need to be made aware, especially when a congregation of spyware programs on a PC will eventually make asignificant impact on the machines performance.

Generally this is more commonly known in Affiliate Marketing circles as Scumware (I wonder why?)

If you want to know more about Scumware, see a very authoratative site like that at:

http://www.scumware.com/
Online and Affiliate Marketing Consultant
Auckland
http://www.zponlinepublishing.com

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun 23 Apr, 2006 2:51 pm

Rather interesting to see that Smile City cannot even be bothered to reply regarding my questions about their questionable marketing methods....

....I guess it speaks for itself!
Auckland

claw

Post by claw » Tue 13 Jun, 2006 1:58 am

haha, does seem a bit suspecious, maybe they are just busy? :P

are there alot of sites that do this sort of thing?

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed 14 Jun, 2006 1:49 am

Yes .... Spyware and Stealware has become increasingly common over the last 2 - 3 years.

Collectively they are known as Scumware....and that sayes everything that needs to be said about the people that use it.

Oh and by the way...for anyone that wonders why so many Surveys appear on sites like the one mentioned above. There are a number of large companies that are prepared to pay up to $15 and more for each survey form completed by members of the General Public. This data is then used for market research purposes. So remember, for each survey form you are asked to fill in for free, or to get a couple of "worthless points", it is likely that that site is making a fortune out of you and offering you nothing in return.
Auckland

Polymath

Post by Polymath » Wed 20 Sep, 2006 8:50 pm

Hi guys,
Just thought I would add to this. I have been a member of smilecity for a couple of years now and I too find Smilecity ads whenever I visit other sites. This is all very interesting. For a long time now members have been banned or their accounts canceled as interfering members. Lots of members have just left. Smilecity admin have not been answering members questions and emails for about a year now. They have gotten too big for their boots. I just wish I thought of it.
Just my first time rant. Thanks

As a footnote, Im guessing google does something similar?
*If You need help, best not to ask me*

EZMNetwork.com
Gamesocket.geek.nz
Gamesocket.net
Kiwitopsite.co.nz

affrinkhan

bidnz

Post by affrinkhan » Fri 12 Feb, 2010 11:19 pm

the registration process bidnz seems to be bit pushy but i found good response for my auction item..simple to use and offers free classified listing for business.. i will put more auctions onit..thanks bidnz for giving me free listing offer on classifieds..

can u guys please review the site here bidnz.co.nz?